Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yeast

I’m discovering that the little things really do make a difference. 

I remember going grocery shopping when we were a few weeks from leaving St Louis.  I almost cried right there in the baking aisle when I realized that I didn’t need to buy yeast.  I’ve been making bread for our family for a few years now.  But since we were moving soon, I needed to pack up the Bosch, not buy another jar of yeast.  I was quite caught off-guard by my emotional reaction.  It was just a tangible, in my face, I’m leaving! 

We’ve been here in Guam about 6 or 7 weeks now.  We’ve been living in our house for about a month.  It’s finally feeling close to settled.  At least the living room is ok.  Not many boxes; toys have their places; the area rug is laid out…  I’ve finally gotten most of the things I need in the pantry, too.  Flour, sugar, cornmeal, oats… everything in their little bins.  Ahh.  Feels like we can actually live here.  My Bosch is unpacked and waiting patiently in the cupboard.  I have almost everything I need to make bread again.  Now if I can just buy some yeast, I’ll be ready to go… 

No comments:

Post a Comment