Life in Guam is a mix of familiar and unusual things.
The traffic laws are generally the same as in the states. However, street signs cannot be counted on. Invitations generally require a map or specific directions (i.e., “turn right at the bus stop that has a drawing of a surfboard”).
I feel like I know where I’m going most of the time… but I still can’t pronounce many of the names of the villages. (And even the ones I think I can, I find I’m totally wrong!)
We have many familiar places to go out to eat: Taco Bell, Chili’s, Wendy’s, Pizza Hut, McDonald’s, etc. – even a Chuck E Cheese! We went out for ice cream at Cold Stone. They have the same “creations” as every other one I’ve been to – yet this is they only one I’ve been to where the menu also written in Japanese!
Guam is the proud location of the world’s largest Kmart. I have never been impressed with Kmart before, but after shopping here once, I was! They have everything I’d expect to see at a Target or Walmart (clothes, toys, a few groceries, health & beauty products, home & office stuff, etc.) and more. They have a whole tourist section, with cool Guam souvenirs, and they even sell refrigerators and washing machines.
I found better decals for the kids’ rooms at Kmart than I had in several different stores before I left the States.
Some of the products are different, but many are probably exactly the same as what I got back home.
Kmart is also the only place I’ve done routine shopping where I’ve seen tourists posing for pictures in the cereal aisle, and there are always taxis and tour buses waiting outside!
Groceries are again the same and different. I could buy Yoplait yogurt, Eggo waffles, and Quaker oats. I buy the same brand of soymilk that I used at home. Yet there are still signs that I am in Asia… if the Japanese-labeled snacks & soups weren’t a good enough clue, how about the 25- and 50-lb bags of rice!
Grocery prices are all over the place. Some loaves of bread are about $3. But some really good bread is $7.49. (I paid about that much for 12 donuts at Winchells, too!) A bag of grapes is usually about $9. Loren found some this week, though, for $4 – and they were even seedless!
In contrast, the gas prices here are always exactly the same. It’s been $4.62 at every station every day we’ve been here. The gas attendants still pump the gas for you!
But just like everywhere else we’ve been, there are many welcoming people. We are thankful for the wonderful circle of friends in every place we’ve lived.
(We miss you, too! Please keep praying for us as we find our way from acquaintances to close friends here.)