August 20, 2011
My parents left tonight.
We’ve been camping together (ok, motorhome and cabin-style camping!) for a few days, with Loren’s parents and sister, too. We have a few more days with them, and then we leave for Guam on Wednesday.
We all stood around my parents’ RV site. We prayed and hugged and cried and said goodbye. Then they climbed into the motorhome and drove away. The campsite suddenly seemed so empty: a big void. What had been so full of fun and family was now remarkably, painfully empty.
I know it won’t be that bad. The pain would be so much worse under different situations. I realize that this really is a good situation, that we’ll still be able to keep in touch, that it won’t be too long till we see them again. But it is still a huge change, and a new separation. It still hurts, and it’s ok to say that. It’s a difficult transition for all of us.
Bryan’s first word, learned at the end of Mission Institute, was “bye-bye!”
Ashlyn feels it too. When we left Texas…hmmm…was that just less than a week ago?!... we were getting ready to say goodbye to Noni & Pompa (Loren’s parents). Ashlyn said, “But I don’t want to say goodbye cause I like Noni!” Noni responded, “I know you do, sweetie, and I love you so much, too.” Then Ashlyn’s next question almost broke my heart. “Do you still love me even when I’m someplace else?”
“Oh, yes, baby, we love you soooo much, all the time, no matter where you are!!!!”
It takes a toll on all of us. Another missionary family we know mentioned to my parents a while ago, “It costs other people a lot for us to be faithful to our call.” I think that is so important to remember.
So thank you, dear mommies and daddies, grandmas and grandpas, and all our other loved ones, for letting us go, for paying your part of the cost. Thank you for your tears, your unconditional love, and for your support even through heartbreak. We see the cost, we feel it too, and we are so thankful for how you are loving us through this.
Can’t wait till heaven, when there will be no more goodbyes.