Friday, August 26, 2011

Hafa Adai -- Welcome to Guam!

We'd been talking about it for years, and the day finally came.

It was time to go to Guam!

We got up about 5 a.m., left the hotel in San Fransisco before 6, finally got ourselves and all our stuff checked in, and began our flights.  Five hours to Hawaii, then a three-hour layover, then eight more hours to Guam.  Our kids did remarkably well.  We were soooo thankful for the space we had--a seat for Bryan (even though it isn't required since he is still little), and on the way to Hawaii, an extra seat, too!  It also worked out well to have the flights timed the way they were.  It was bedtime on the way to Guam, and they slept pretty much the last half of the flight. 

We landed at 2 a.m. California time, 6 p.m. Guam time. 
As we left the customs area, we were greeted by many new friends from the Guam SDA Clinic.  What a wonderful welcome.  They gave us beautiful, fragrant leis, just the right size for each of us--even a tiny one for Bryan!  (Although it was all a bit much for him and he burst into tears...)  They whisked away our tons of luggage (which I think filled up the entire bed of a pickup truck) and put it into our temporary apartment for us.  (We stay here until our shipment of furniture and everything else arrives.)  They gave us the keys to a loaner car to use till our van gets here.  One person gave us a huge avocado; someone else gave us a papaya from their garden, homemade granola, and a box of soy milk.  We got to the apartment to find more food and all sorts of other essentials all waiting for us.  So nice!!

I still feel not quite settled.  Ashlyn and I were playing with Uno cards, and she said, "I made a match!  I'm going to take this home."  ...and I just didn't know what to say. 

But sitting at the table eating breakfast (at 5 a.m.), savoring an apple-raisin sweet roll made by someone I don't even know yet, I feel loved.
Thank you.