Thursday, November 7, 2013

Did Daddy have a trash can?




11/4/13
Today at lunch, I was talking with the kids.  I was telling Ashlyn about her surgery and the ER visit before that last summer.  Bryan popped into the conversation asking, “Mommy, did Daddy have a trash can?”  I was very confused.  It had nothing to do with the current conversation, and nothing to do with the previous one, either, when Bryan had been asking me nonstop to tell him the story about when daddy fell off his skateboard and bonked his chin (or fell off his motorcycle or…)  [Yes, I know that's a run-on sentence, but conversations with kids are like that...]  So I asked him why he’d asked that, and he just gave me a look, like a mom or a detective, meaning, “come on now, you can’t trick me…what’s the real answer?”  It was SO FUNNY!  I just laughed and laughed, which of course, they thought was hilarious.  So then Ashlyn starts repeating the question, too.  “Mommy, did Daddy have a trash can?”  And we are all laughing and laughing and laughing. 
Then, several times, Bryan says, “Mommy, stop laughing!”  just so he can say it again and make me start laughing again!  Twice, he asked me the same question “Did Daddy have a trash can?” and then instructed me, “Say ‘yes.’”  So I said yes.  Then he asked, “But why did him have a trash can?” 
….  Much hilariousness today!  Such a privilege to have them be so delighted to make me laugh!  :D 

11/8/13 – update
They still think this is really funny.  All week, they have been asking me this at random times.  (Not that there is really a time when this question wouldn’t be random…)