Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Awesome Sabbath



 Today (Aug. 25) has been a really awesome day.  To tell you the story, I have to back up a bit…

Last May, we decided to help take the place of a lady who was moving off island.  Cindy and her family have been taking a bunch of Chuukese kids to church for years.  One of them happens to live right near our church.  So we agreed to pick him up after we got back from our visit to the States.  However, when we got back, I forgot for a while.  Then I couldn’t find the paper with his number on it.  I emailed Cindy, and she said she could give me directions to his house, but she didn’t have his number. 
So last Sabbath, we showed up at his house unannounced, to pick up a kid we’ve never met.  He wasn’t home, but we got his number and said we’d be back the next week. 
This week, we called ahead and successfully picked him up – a 12-year-old boy, and also his cousin, who was 5 but looked much older.  The older boy speaks English well; the younger one needed some translation.

We were really impressed with their behavior!  They were great kids, very easy to have around.  Never once did I have to tell them to be quiet in church.  The simple requests I made, they obeyed quickly. 

It was fun to see the delight on their faces with little things.  The younger boy was excited about closing my van’s automatic door.  :)

Backing up again:
We were trying to have a friend over for dinner one night, but it didn’t work out.  However, she invited us to a short hike for Sabbath afternoon, when a guy from the clinic would be teaching about the plants we’d see. 
Usually, we go home after church or potluck and get our kids to nap as quickly as we can.  But this time, we decided to be adventuresome and go for it. 
That worked out perfectly, because, as we were driving up to the Chuukese boys’ home, I remembered that Cindy said she used to take them all hiking every week!  We asked if they wanted to go hiking this week, and they quickly said yes. 
The hike was fun, and our kids did pretty well!  We all enjoyed it.   

One other major event of the day –
We were supposed to meet for the hike at 2:30 at a different church.  When I called to say we’d be late, our friend told me they were actually meeting at the beach for a baptism, and then going on the hike. 
When we showed up, they were just starting, and we were thrilled to see that it was our friend Joe!  :D :D  We had just heard recently that he had decided to get baptized, but we didn’t know when that would be!  So we were so excited that we got to be there for it!  (Some of you may remember reading about Joe in one of our earlier blogs, not quite a year ago.) 

How can it be a coincidence that the first week we pick up these boys is the first week we go on a hike after church?  And that the meeting place was changed to be at the baptism of our friend, even though we didn’t know it was happening?  No way.  Oh, and the sermon the pastor preached today at this church was one that I’d heard referenced before, and wished I could have heard! 

I am so thankful.