Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Batting One for Five


Wednesday mornings are my half-day for surgical cases.  This morning I ended up with a lot more family time than operating time.  I had a potential of five cataract cases lined up.  But one by one they dropped …  One patient decided she didn’t want cataract surgery the week before Mother’s day, so she asked to re-schedule.  Another patient failed her pre-op medical clearance exam (which is hard to do for something as low risk as cataract surgery).  A third patient never returned our phone calls to confirm her surgery (we called multiple times over several days).  And the fourth patient had his morning cup of coffee before coming in for surgery.  So I did my 20 minute cataract case, studied a bit for boards, got some groceries, and was home by 10 a.m.  Hopefully I’ll have a higher batting average next week, though I really enjoyed having a picnic with my family. :)