Now I really feel like I live in the islands!
My neighbor gave me two starfruit this week, and confirmed my guess that there is a starfruit tree in my backyard. I don't remember ever eating starfruit! It was just that weird, cool-looking fruit at the store...but I guess I never was adventurous enough to buy it. Now they grow in my backyard!?
I discovered they're quite good! If they're too expensive at your local store, come visit me instead. ;)
Ok, more seriously now, I am beginning to think I actually live here. Our constant moving prior to this--even just all the traveling between leaving St Louis and arriving in Guam--seems to have messed with my mind a bit. We would work quickly, unpack our suitcases on the first day we arrived, enjoy fun people and places, and pack up again 5 days later (or something like that). We did the same thing even when we got here. Quick, unpack, get enough out to survive, go meet people. Now move from the apartment to the house. Quick, unpack some more, keep visiting new churches, meeting new people, going to playdates... My mind and heart are kind of still in the "ok, let's do this and get going" mode. This past week, I've slowly started to realize I live here. I'm not packing up anytime soon. I'm not even going on vacation until next June! (Or so we think at this point.) I don't have to have my shampoo in little tiny bottles. I don't have to keep my heart on hold. I don't have to see everybody and do everything in three weeks. I can relax. I live here now.
Oh -- one more sign of being "Guamified": We came home from a baptism about 5 pm. My pants were still pretty soaked from the rain. We walked into the house where our air-conditioner was blowing (I know, this is weird for all of you with snow on the ground!), and I said, "I'm cold!" Loren laughed and walked over to look at the thermometer. "It's 79 degrees in here!" :)